The risky business costume is a popular Halloween or costume party outfit that is inspired by the iconic dance scene from the 1983 film “Risky Business” starring Tom Cruise. The costume usually consists of a white button-down shirt, a pair of boxer shorts, and tube socks. The outfit has become a classic symbol of the 80s era and is often associated with a carefree and rebellious attitude. It is a fun and easy costume to put together, and it is a great option for those who want to make a statement at their next costume party.
Basic Components of a Risky Business Costume
When it comes to sourcing the items for a Risky Business costume, there are several options available. One option is to purchase a pre-made costume from a costume store, which may include all of the necessary components in one package. Another option is to source the items individually, either by shopping at thrift stores or by purchasing new items online.
For those who prefer a DIY approach, it is relatively easy to put together a Risky Business costume with items that are already in your closet. A white button-down shirt can be borrowed from a friend or family member, and a pair of boxer shorts or briefs can be purchased inexpensively at a department store. Tube socks can be found at most sporting goods stores or online.
To achieve the right fit and look for the costume, it is important to pay attention to the details. The shirt should be oversized and untucked, and the sleeves should be rolled up to the elbow. The boxer shorts or briefs should fit well and be visible above the waistband of the pants or shorts. The tube socks should be pulled up to just below the knee, and the shoes, if worn, should be casual and comfortable. With attention to detail and a little creativity, anyone can pull off a great Risky Business costume.
Accessorizing Your Costume
When it comes to accessorizing your “Risky Business” costume, there are a few key elements that can really help tie the look together. Here are some suggestions for accessories that can take your costume to the next level:
- Sunglasses: A pair of classic aviator sunglasses can add a cool, confident vibe to your costume. Look for sunglasses with gold frames and dark lenses to match the ones worn by Tom Cruise in the movie.
- Socks: While the “Risky Business” costume is famously worn without shoes, adding a pair of white ankle socks can help complete the look. Make sure to choose socks that are thin and lightweight, as thicker socks can detract from the overall aesthetic.
- Underwear: One of the most iconic scenes in the movie involves Tom Cruise dancing in his underwear. While you may not want to go quite that far, adding a pair of white boxer shorts can be a fun and playful nod to the movie. Alternatively, you could wear a pair of black or gray briefs for a more subtle reference.
- Belt: A black leather belt can help cinch in your pants and create a more polished look. Look for a simple, classic design that won’t detract from the other elements of your costume.
Adding a Personal Touch
While the classic Risky Business costume is simple and iconic, there are ways to add a personal touch to make the costume your own. Here are some ideas:
- Add a unique twist: One way to make your “Risky Business” costume stand out is to add a unique twist to the classic elements. For example, you could switch up the color of the shirt, wear a patterned or graphic shirt, or choose a different style of boxer shorts or briefs. You could also accessorize with a hat, sunglasses, or a prop that represents your personality or interests.
- Play up certain elements: Another way to personalize your “Risky Business” costume is to play up certain elements of the costume. For example, you could wear knee-high boots instead of tube socks, or wear a long wig to emulate Tom Cruise’s hairstyle in the film. You could also incorporate your own style into the costume, such as adding a leather jacket or a statement necklace.
- Get creative with makeup: While the “Risky Business” costume doesn’t typically require makeup, you can add some extra flair with a bold lipstick or eye makeup. You could also add fake freckles or contour your face to match the character’s look in the film.
Alternative Ideas for a Risky Business Costume
While the classic “Risky Business” costume is a fun and easy option for a Halloween or costume party outfit, there are plenty of alternative ideas to explore. Here are some creative variations on the “Risky Business” costume:
- Gender-bending twist: One fun variation on the “Risky Business” costume is to switch up the gender norms by wearing a women’s blouse and skirt or a men’s suit. You can still incorporate the recognizable elements of the costume, such as the tube socks and no shoes, while adding your own twist to the outfit.
- Colorful twist: Another way to put a unique spin on the “Risky Business” costume is to incorporate different colors into the outfit. For example, you could wear a brightly colored shirt or patterned shorts to make the costume pop. You could also choose a color scheme that matches your favorite sports team or musical artist.
- Themed twist: You can also incorporate a theme into your “Risky Business” costume. For example, you could wear a pirate shirt and shorts for a pirate-themed party or a cowboy shirt and shorts for a western-themed party. You can still keep the classic elements of the costume while adding your own theme.
- Era twist: Another way to make the “Risky Business” costume your own is to add a twist inspired by a different era. For example, you could wear a retro disco shirt and shorts to pay homage to the 1970s, or a neon-colored shirt and shorts to pay tribute to the 1980s. You could even incorporate modern elements, such as a pair of trendy sneakers, to create a more contemporary look.